Historic Sign

Text: This house was built in 1787 as the home of the Reverend Elias Van Bunschooten, a Dutch Reformed Minister.  He was a farmer, mill operator, and large land owner.  The farm was poar of a 1000 acre plantation.  The Dutch Colonial house is post and beam construction.  Out buildings include a Wagon House, Ice House and a Privy.  The home was given to the Chinkchewunska Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution by Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Remsey in 1971.  The house and out buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and Places in 1974.


Photo of a sign.

Text: Home of Rev. Elias Van Bunchooten 1738 - 1815.  He ministered to the widely separated people of a parish covering parts of New Jersey and NewYork: and early recognized the need of encouraging education.  By constant thrift and wise management he was able in 1814 to give a sum incredibly large for that time and place for education of young men for the ministry of the Dutch Reformed Church.  Erected by Chinkchewunska Chapter NSDAR 1968.